Boston University School of Social Work offers online students the Advanced Standing option which allows students to complete their Master of Social Work (MSW) degree in two years. The Advanced Standing option is available to graduates with a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
The two-year part-time program can be completed in six consecutive semesters with coursework that includes both asynchronous content and weekly live classroom sessions. Coursework can be accessed online anytime, day or night. Our faculty use a variety of teaching and learning activities, including live classroom sessions, discussion forums with instructors, guest speakers and other students, role play, research projects, and individual and group presentations. In addition to courses. Advanced Standing students enroll in a single 1,000 hour field internship within their communities.
Advanced Standing students enter the program having already earned 22 credit hours towards their MSW degree. These credits are earned through academic and field work in the undergraduate program. The additional 43 credits required for graduation (or 40 credits if the student passes the Research I waiver exam) must earned at Boston University School of Social Work. No additional transfer credits will be accepted toward the MSW degree.
Admission Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program:
- Applicants must hold an undergraduate social work degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, completed within the past six years
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required
- Completed application
- $95 non-refundable application fee
- Personal statement
- Three professional and/or academic reference letters (the person who completes your field evaluation should not submit a reference)
- Official transcripts from all previous academic institutions
- Transcripts from community colleges and study abroad programs
- Field Evaluation (copy of your final field evaluation from your senior year field placement, or if currently enrolled, a copy of your mid-year evaluation from your senior year is required)
- Some applicants may be contacted for an interview
The online program is available for individuals living in the USA except those in US territories. At this time the Online MSW Program is not open to international applicants.
To find out if the online MSW Advanced Standing program is right for you, contact our admissions representative at 877-308-9945 or you can Request More Information and we will reach out to you.