Be a Change Agent with an Online MSW in Macro Practice
The Macro Practice major focuses on human development and social justice through work with communities and organizations. Macro Social Work programs encompass a broad field of practice, including planning, program development, community organizing, policy analysis, legislative advocacy, program assessment, task-oriented group work, community education, and human services management. The Macro Practice major prepares students for careers in multiple arenas with a wide range of populations and social problems.
Macro social work jobs and field internships are available in grassroots community-based organizations, mid-sized nonprofits, large state agencies, healthcare settings, statewide coalitions, schools, public health agencies, the state legislature, and policy reform organizations.
The cornerstone of Macro Social Work at BU School of Social Work is built upon these core values:
- social and economic justice
- participatory democracy
- human dignity, equality, and freedom
- respect for diversity
- community empowerment
- asset-oriented practice
The Macro Social Work curriculum offers courses that provide theory, knowledge, and practice skills in community analysis; needs, assets and resources assessment; outreach and recruitment; action research; strategic analysis; program design and implementation; leadership development; group dynamics; organizational development; collective action for large systems change; bargaining and negotiating; conflict resolution; public speaking; lobbying; media relations; supervision; proposal writing; budgeting; evaluation research; financial management; and nonprofit administration.
Required courses must be completed by all students:
- MP 783 Planning and Program Development
- MP 781 Community Organizing
- MP 773 Human Services Management
Online MSW in Macro Social Work offers the following advanced electives:
- MP 785 Program Evaluation
- CP 762 Advanced Group Work
- HB 750 Organizational Behavior and Culture
The Benefits of Pursuing an Online MSW Degree at Boston University
- Experience an innovative and dynamic education taught by the top-tier Boston University faculty Utilize state-of-the-art, web-based, learning platforms for online lectures, simulations, audio, videos, and discussion boards.
- Attend weekly, pre-scheduled live classroom sessions that allow you to interact with faculty and peers.
- Enroll in a part-time program and earn an MSW degree with majors in Clinical Social Work or Macro Social Work in as few as nine consecutive semesters or as an Advanced Standing student in six consecutive semesters.
- Experience the advantages of attending a program that has received awards from both the Sloan Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education and the U.S. Distance Learning Association Award for 21st Century Best Practices and is ranked 12th in the nation by U.S News & World Report .
The online program is available for individuals living in the USA except those from NC and US territories. At this time the Online MSW Program is not open to international applicants.
To learn more about the Master of Social Work from Boston University and what it can do for your career, call 877-308-9945 to speak with an admissions representative, or Request More Information.