Be a Change Agent with an MSW in Macro Practice
Macro Social Work promotes human development and social justice through work with communities and organizations. Macro social work programs encompass a broad field of practice, including planning, program development, community organizing, legislative advocacy, program assessment, task-oriented group work, community education, and human services management. This major prepares students for careers in multiple arenas with a wide range of populations and social problems.
Macro social work jobs and field internships are available in grassroots community-based organizations, mid-sized nonprofits, large state agencies, healthcare settings, statewide coalitions, schools, public health agencies, the state legislature, and policy reform organizations.
Macro Social Work Practice at the BU School of Social Work is built upon these core values:
- community empowerment
- social and economic justice
- participatory democracy
- human dignity, equality, and freedom
- respect for diversity
- asset-oriented practice
The Macro Social Work curriculum offers courses that provide theory, knowledge, and practice skills in community analysis; needs, assets and resources assessment; outreach and recruitment; action research; strategic analysis; program design and implementation; leadership development; group dynamics; organizational development; collective action for large systems change; bargaining and negotiating; conflict resolution; public speaking; lobbying; media relations; supervision; proposal writing; budgeting; evaluation research; financial management; and nonprofit administration.
In addition to the foundation courses the following required macro courses must be completed by all students:
- MP 759 Intro to Macro Practice
- MP 783 Planning and Program Development
- MP 781 Community Organizing
- MP 773 Human Services Management
The MSW in Macro Social Work Online Program offers the following macro advanced electives:
- MP 785 Program Evaluation
- CP 762 Advanced Group Work
- HB 750 Organizational Behavior and Culture
The Benefits of Pursuing an Online MSW Degree at Boston University
- Experience an innovative and dynamic education taught by the top-tier Boston University faculty Utilize state-of-the-art, web-based, learning platforms for online lectures, simulations, audio, videos, and discussion boards.
- Attend weekly, pre-scheduled live classroom sessions that allow you to interact with faculty and peers.
- Enroll in a part-time program and earn an MSW degree with majors in Clinical Social Work or Macro Social Work in as few as nine consecutive semesters or as an Advanced Standing student in six consecutive semesters.
- Experience the advantages of attending a program that has received awards from both the Sloan Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education and the U.S. Distance Learning Association Award for 21st Century Best Practices and is ranked 12th in the nation by U.S News & World Report .
The online program is available for individuals living in the USA except those in US territories. At this time the Online MSW Program is not open to international applicants.
To learn more about the Master of Social Work from Boston University and what it can do for your career, call 877-308-9945 to speak with an admissions representative, or Request More Information.