Social work students in the BU School of Social Work Online Program have the option to major in clinical practice, which focuses on working with individuals, families, and groups. Students develop competencies in assessment and diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for a variety of emotional and behavioral issues. Numerous social work skills, human behavior theories, and evidence-based practices inform student learning.
Contextual Theory and Frameworks
Students study four frameworks for differential assessment and intervention: cognitive, behavioral, psychodynamic, and family systems.. Person-in-environment theories form the primary knowledge base for the curriculum because they emphasize individual, family, group, and community resources.
Guiding principles for clinical social work practice presume the worth and dignity of all people. Social work emphasizes a strengths-based perspective and the need for client confidentiality, client empowerment, and self-determination in decision making. Clinical internships allow students the opportunity for the application of classroom learning in the real world while working with clients.
The Benefits of Pursuing an MSW of Clinical Social Work Practice Online at Boston University:
- Experience an innovative and dynamic curriculum taught by top-tier Boston University faculty
- Utilize state-of-the-art, web-based learning platforms for online lectures, simulations, audio, videos, and discussion boards
- Attend weekly, pre-scheduled “live classroom” sessions that allow you to interact with faculty and peers
- Earn an MSW degree in Clinical Social Work in as few as nine consecutive semesters or as an Advanced Standing student in six consecutive semesters
Clinical social workers are employed in a variety of settings including mental health, child welfare and children’s services, health clinics and hospitals, rehabilitation centers, family service settings, schools, services for the elderly, and housing agencies.
Required courses must be completed by all students:
- CP 770 Clinical Practice with Individuals
- CP 771 Clinical Practice with Groups
- CP 772 Clinical Practice with Families
Online MSW in Clinical Social Work offers the following advanced electives:
- CP 785 Family Therapy
- CP 803 Clinical Practice with Adult Trauma
- CP 807 Clinical Practice with Older Adults
- CP 809 Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
- HB 723 Adult Psychopathology
- HB 751 Human Neuropsychology
- WP 705 Mental Health & Social Policy
The online program is available for individuals living in the USA except those from NC and US territories. At this time the Online MSW Program is not open to international applicants.
To learn more about the Master of Social Work from Boston University and what it can do for your career, call 877-308-9945 to speak with an admissions representative, or Request More Information.